Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Matthew 27:11-16; Psalm 139:13-18

Matthew 27:11-16
This portion records Jesus' trial before Pilate, the Roman governor. Jesus remained silent as the Jewish leaders made accusations against him. v. 12 There's a time to speak and a time to remain silent, and Jesus' actions were always wise and right. We should pray that we will always exercise such wisdom.

Pilate shows us the worst side of a government official. He let the guilty go and turned the innocent over for punishment! The Jews did not blame the Romans for Jesus' death, but declared that they would take responsibility for his death--they and their children. v. 25  Pilate knew he had been wrong and washed his hands to rid himself of the guilt, but of course, mere water cannot wash away our sins.

Psalm 139:13-18
You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body
    and knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
    Your workmanship is marvelous—how well I know it.
15 You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion,
    as I was woven together in the dark of the womb.
16 You saw me before I was born.
    Every day of my life was recorded in your book.
Every moment was laid out
    before a single day had passed.
17 How precious are your thoughts about me,[a] O God.
    They cannot be numbered!
18 I can’t even count them;
    they outnumber the grains of sand!
And when I wake up,
    you are still with me!

Did you ever think that your birth--including your family, your nationality, your race, your economic conditions, your talents, your intellect, your sex, even the year of your birth, and so much more--was no accident? God saw each of us from the very start, and He "made all the delicate, inner parts" of our bodies, and His workmanship is marvelous! The grammar of "God don't make no junk" may be unconventional, but the sentiment is 100% true. We have no reason to feel insecure about anything that was God's decision! And not only did God see us and watch over us before our birth, He saw every day of our lives that would come. Nothing catches God by surprise. Surely He knows us better than we know ourselves. He is worthy of our trust!




No comments:

Post a Comment