This Proverb begins with warning against sexual immorality. This is a subject that has become common in the lives of many people and even a source of entertainment in TV and movies. However, God gives wise counsel in this matter. The consequences of failing to heed this warning are very great. I don't think I've ever heard a person say, "I'm sorry I was faithful to my husband or wife." But I've heard many say, "I made a terrible mistakes, and I'm paying dearly for them."
"The lips of an immoral woman" probably refers specifically to a prostitute, but it is also a symbol of any kind of sexual relationship other than what God intended within a marriage. It is sweet and exciting at first, but the end is "bitter as poison." I read an article just yesterday by a woman who was in a 25-year affair with a married man. In the end, she had nothing but regrets. And I'm sure he was not proud of his actions either.
What are some of the tragic consequences Solomon mentions in this chapter?
- You will lose your honor and the respect of others and even your self-respect. v. 9, 12-14
- You may face violence. v. 9 (I wonder how many murders are committed because of a love triangle?)
- Your family will break down, and strangers will consume your wealth. v. 10
- You may end up with a sexually transmitted disease. v. 11
- You lose your joy and live with regret. vv. 12-14
- Immorality tends to hold a person captive. v. 22
"For the Lord sees clearly what a man does, examining every path he takes."
No comments:
Post a Comment