Friday, October 16, 2015

1 Cor 10:14--11:1; Psalm 21

1 Cor 10:14-11:1
Paul is teaching in this section about gray areas or area of doubtful things among Christians. These are things that some believers may think is wrong for a Christian while others think it is just fine. Paul teaches us that we should always be considerate of other believers, especially those who may be less mature. These questionable areas are normally of very little importance in the grand scheme of things. But it's important for us to be mature and considerate of others' convictions. For example, if I invite someone to dinner in my home, and I know they don't think a Christian should eat pork, then it would be insensitive of me to serve pork even though I feel I am free to eat it.

Paul sums it up this way, "So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Don't give offense to Jews or Gentiles or the church of God. I, too, try to please everyone in everything I do. I don't just do what is best for me; I do what is best for others so that many may be saved. And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ."

Psalm 21
David praises the Lord as he considers everything as gifts from God. The gifts he lists are all good: victory, his heart's desire, his requests, a crown of gold, a long life, eternal blessings, and the presence of the Lord. We too should count our blessings. Why is it that we so often focus on the troubling or negative elements in our lives? We must fight this temptation and thank God for the hard things as well because He has richly showered us all with many good things. And the difficult things are for our good as well.

v. 7 tells us that David trusts in the Lord that His unfailing love will keep him from stumbling. We should do the same.

vv. 8-12 When we see the enemies of God and hear about their evil plans and even see them carried out, we must remember that God's enemies will not succeed forever. God sees all the evil, and He can obliterate them in a moment. He will intervene when the time is right.

"Rise up, O Lord, in all your power. With music and singing we celebrate your mighty acts." The idea of music and singing seems rather odd here, but I guess it's always appropriate to sing praises to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment