Tuesday, October 13, 2015

1 Corinthians 9; Psalm 19

OK, here we go. I'm still here though I've had such a very hard time getting back to this! The longer I waited, the harder it seemed to get so today I decided that it wasn't going to get any easier. So I will just pick up where I left off in August. August??

1 Cor. 9
I read all the way through this chapter, and I was about to go on to 1 Cor 10, when I came to vv. 24-27, and I realized this is what I need for today and in the days to come. It takes discipline to live the Christian life, just as it takes discipline to win an athletic contest. Prayer, Bible study, and worship give us the stamina we need. And so we don't quit! We don't get tired of doing good because God has a purpose for every day and every situation.

"Self-discipline requires an honest look at your strengths and weaknesses, with emphasis on the latter." (from the notes in the Life Application Study Bible).

  • Sometimes we have to say no to people and things that are not good for us.
  • We have to say no to laziness and procrastination.
  • We have to say yes to a lifetime of learning actions and attitudes that do not come naturally.
In v. 27, when Paul says he might be disqualified, he does not mean he might lose his salvation. He means that if he doesn't practice what he preaches, he might lose his testimony and his credibility with those he wished to reach.

Psalm 19

1. Every day and every night when we look at the beautiful world around us, we know that there is a God in heaven, and we should be reminded of His great power.  vv. 1-6

2. But we really can't know His instructions unless we are students of His Word. vv. 7-11

  • His instructions are perfect, reviving our souls.
  • His decrees are trustworthy, making us wise.
  • His commandments are right, bringing us joy.
  • His commands are clear, showing us how to live.
  • His laws are true and fair.
  • His Word is sweet and brings us great reward when we obey it.
3. We don't have to be plagued with guilt. David asks God to show him sins he may have overlooked, and he also asks him to protect him from deliberately sinning! Finally, he asks God to keep his words and thoughts pleasing to the Lord. We should do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment