Saturday, December 9, 2017

Psalm 97

Psalm 97
This psalm celebrates the kingship of God. Let's see what we can learn about Him!

  • He reigns! He truly reigns as the sovereign King over all the earth. No one can ever overthrow Him. v. 1
  • He dwells in a hidden place though He sees and knows everything. Do you remember the Soviet astronaut who said something like, "I went into space, and I looked for God, and I didn't see Him anywhere so I guess He doesn't exist." This is laughable. The mystery of God in His holy dwelling is far beyond anything we could see with our human eyes. v. 2 Some day all the human race will indeed see Him. v. 6
  • He will judge His enemies. vv. 3-6
  • All nations will one day acknowledge Him. vv. 6-7
  • The Hebrew people will one day recognize the returning Christ as the Messiah they have rejected for so long. Many will name Him their Savior and King. v. 8-9
  • What does He expect of us believers today?
    • We should hate evil. This does not be mean that we should be ugly and nasty toward sinners, but we should hate sin. v. 10 This can be tricky. We must ask God to help us to have a loving attitude toward others as we live under the control of the Holy Spirit. I see comments on social media sometimes (not from any of you!) that really are not even nice! If I were not a believer, such comments would not convince me to become one!
    • He fill us with light and joy! v. 11 There is no excuse for us to be gloomy, grumpy, or negative. 
    • "Rejoice in the Lord, you who are righteous, and praise his holy name." v. 12 That's your assignment for today and for the Lord's Day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment