Matthew 26:69-75
This passage records Peter's denial of Christ--the very thing he said he would never do! We must not be too hard on Peter. The fact is I am ashamed to admit that I too have denied my relationship with Jesus. I have kept silent when I should have spoken; I have changed the subject when it got uncomfortable. I fully realize that if I had been in Peter's shoes that night, I would likely have done the same thing. This is not a pretty picture! But we can be thankful it isn't the end of Peter's relationship with Jesus. John 24 records Jesus' great forgiveness, love, and grace toward Peter and the other disciples. And on top of all that, Peter went on to be a great preacher and witness for the Lord with his writings even included in the New Testament! What a wonderful Savior we have who offers us the same forgiveness, love, and grace when we fail Him.
As we look over this incident, it seems that Peter's three denials increase in intensity. First, he acts confused as if he doesn't know what the girl is talking about. The second time he denies more forcefully with an oath. Finally, he swears (as if in court) and calls down curses on himself if he is lying. When we know we're wrong, our conscience may nag at us, but if we don't confess our sin to the Lord, we just dig ourselves in deeper ending in a sad place as was the case with Peter. "And he went away, weeping bitterly."
Psalm 139:1-6
O Lord, you have examined my heart and know everything about me.
You know when I sit down or stand up.
You know my thoughts even when I'm far away.
You see me when I travel and when I rest at home.
You know everything I do.
You know what I am going to say even before I say it, Lord.
You go before me and follow me.
You place your hand of blessing on my head.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too great for me to understand!
No human relationship can be as honest and intimate as our relationship with God. As humans we are often not even honest with ourselves! And we don't let anyone know EVERY thought we have. Yet our Heavenly Father knows us perfectly and loves us unconditionally. Truly the psalmist was right when he said, "Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too great for me to understand!"
No comments:
Post a Comment