Monday, December 3, 2018

Genesis 12:1-3; Psalm 9:1-12

Genesis 12:1-3
These words are the introduction to what is known as the "Abrahamic Covenant." It is God's promise to the nation of Israel (which is descended from Abraham), and it is in effect to this day. Spiritually speaking it also applies to all believers. We can find references to it in the Old and New Testaments.

Now the Lord had said to Abram:
“Get out of your country,
From your family
And from your father’s house,
To a land that I will show you.
I will make you a great nation;
I will bless you
And make your name great;
And you shall be a blessing.
I will bless those who bless you,
And I will curse him who curses you;
And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed.”

This passage contains promises and warnings about the treatment of the nation of Israel. This explains why the tiny nation of Israel looms so large on the world stage and why the Jewish people have played such an important roll in world history. And we find a reference to Christ is v. 3 "And in you all the families of the earth shall be blessed." Jesus, sent through the line of Abraham, is the ultimate blessing sent from God the Father to be our Savior.

The New Testament writer Paul reminds us of this covenant in Galatians 3:5-9, telling us that because of our faith, we are blessed along with Abraham.

Galatians 3:5-9 New King James Version (NKJV)

Therefore He who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you, does He do it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?— just as Abraham “believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Therefore know that only those who are of faith are sons of Abraham. And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel to Abraham beforehand, saying, “In you all the nations shall be blessed.” So then those who are of faith are blessed with believing Abraham. 

Psalm 9:1-12
Psalm 9 is about praise and prayer--two wonderful subjects!
Praise: vv. 1-12
Could we honestly speak these words? "I will praise You, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will tell of all your marvelous works. I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High.
David then goes on to praise God because He is just. Things may be very cruel and unfair in our eyes, but God will eventually see that justice is done. The wicked will be judged, and the oppressed will be lifted up. vv. 3-12
David recognizes that God is eternal, v. 7, and He is a safe place, a refuge for those in trouble. He will not forsake us even at our lowest points. vv. 7-10
For our meditation: Psalm 9:9, 10 
The Lord also will be a refuge[a] for the oppressed,
A refuge in times of trouble.
10 And those who know Your name will put their trust in You;
For You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.


No comments:

Post a Comment