Monday, December 21, 2015

Galatians 2; Psalm 56

Galatians 2
Paul, along with Barnabas and Titus, went to Jerusalem to meet with church leaders regarding the message he had been preaching to the Gentiles. This message was that salvation is offered to people regardless of race, gender, ethnic background, wealth, education or anything else. All that is required is trusting in Christ and His finished work on the cross where He bore the penalty for our sin. The leaders in Jerusalem heartily supported Paul and did not require Titus, a Gentile, to be circumcised. Circumcision symbolizes the Jewish law which is not required for salvation or any kind of favor with God. According to vv. 3-5, some people (Paul calls them false Christians) were trying to force Jewish regulations on Jewish and Gentile believers. Paul and the leaders at Jerusalem soundly rejected their plan.

Paul even found it necessary to confront Peter, the apostle to the Jews, for compromising the truth in order to pacify some Jews who wished to retain the Jewish laws. Paul firmly said to Peter, "...we know that a person is made right with God by faith in Jesus Christ, not be obeying the law. And we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we might be made right with God because of our faith in Christ, not because we have obeyed the law. For no one will ever be made right with God by obeying the law...My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not treat the grace of God as meaningless. For if keeping the law could make us right with God, then there was no need for Christ to die." vv 16-21.

We can all be so thankful that our salvation depends on Jesus Christ, not on any works that we do! Good works are a result of our relationship with God, but they are not a substitute for faith.

As far as v. 20 goes (my being crucified with Christ), in simple terms this means that when God looks at us who are believers, it is as if we had been crucified with Christ. Our sins are paid for and we are not condemned for them. And then--even better--we are raised with Him to live for Him. What a plan!

We must be careful never to give the idea that "there was no need for Christ to die" by giving anyone the idea that they can in any way earn their own salvation. Let's never be guilty of substituting Jewish legalism with our own brand of legalism. Jesus offers salvation as a free gift!

Psalm 56
Are you ever afraid? Silly question. This Psalm gives us advice when we are afraid. "But when I am afraid, I will put my trust in you. I praise God for what he has promised. I trust in God so why should I be afraid? What can mere mortals do to me?" vv. 3-4  Well, we might answer that mere mortals can do quite a lot in the way of inflicting pain and suffering! But let's not forget Jesus' words, "Don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul."  Matthew 10:28. We should trust God who controls what happens in this life and who has promised eternal life which can't be taken away. God sees and remembers all our sorrows. v. 8  "I will praise God for what he has promised; yes, I praise the Lord for what he has promised. I trust in God, so why should I be afraid?" vv. 10-11.

So let's all try to relax and trust God for things we can't control!

No comments:

Post a Comment