Saturday, January 23, 2016

Ephesians 4:25-32; Psalm 73

Ephesians 4:25-32
In chapter 4 Paul has encouraged us to unity, maturity, and purity. We are to let the Holy Spirit renew our thoughts and attitudes, putting on our new nature, "created to be like god--truly righteous and holy."  Beginning in v. 25, he gives us a list of some of the things that we should do and not do in order to practice unity, maturity, and purity.

  • Don't lie. Tell the truth, "for we are all parts of the same body." 
  • Don't let anger control you. Handle it properly, dealing with it immediately in a way that builds relationships rather than destroying them.
  • Don't steal.
  • Work hard.
  • Be generous with helping others in need.
  • Don't use foul or abusive language, but use words that encourage others and build them up.
  • Get rid of all these: bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words and slander, along with all types of evil behavior.
  • Be kind, "tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you."
Wow! This is setting quite a high standard! And tucked in the middle of this very big assignment is v. 30 which tells us that we can bring sorrow to God's Holy Spirit by the way we live. Remember that He has been given to us as a guarantee that we belong to God. See Ephesians 1:13-14.

Psalm 73
This psalm was written by Asaph, one of David's musicians. Asaph admits not understanding why God allows wicked people to prosper. He even wondered if a godly life is worth the trouble. "Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason?" v. 13 Then in v. 17, as he worships God, he begins to realize God's wisdom. The wicked are living in a dream world putting all their hope in their wealth which could vanish in an instant and will certainly mean nothing in eternity. He realized that he was only hurting himself by being jealous of wicked people. v. 21 "Then I realized that my heart was bitter, and I was all torn up inside." It's foolish for us to envy the wicked when in fact, when they stand before God, they will wish they could trade places with us!

Though he admitted to foolish jealousy, Asaph praised the Lord with these words, "Yet I still belong to you; you hold my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny. Whom have I in heaven but you? I desire you more than anything on earth. My health may fail, and my spirit may grow weak, but God remains the strength of my heart; he is mine forever." vv. 23-26
And again in v.28, "But as for me, how good it is to be near God! I have made the Sovereign Lord my shelter, and I will tell everyone about the wonderful things you do."

No comments:

Post a Comment