Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Philippians 1:20-30; Psalm 83

Philippians 1:20-30
I think we can identify with Paul when he says, "I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ...And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. For to me, living means living for Christ,..." The next phrase "...and dying is even better" may bring us a little pause. He says later in v. 23, "...I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me." I'm afraid I can't honestly say that I LONG to go and be with Christ, and this tells me I have a ways to go in my connection with Him! Paul was not in any way discouraged or depressed as some people might be who want to go on and be with the Lord. His priorities were purely on spiritual matters, and he realized that it was better for the Philippians that he live and continue to minister to them helping them to grow and experience joy in their faith. vv. 20-26

In vv. 27-30, Paul instructs the Philippian believers to "live as citizens of heaven." I've never really thought much about that phrase before, but it is a challenge to remember. Paul goes on to encourage them to stand together "with one spirit and one purpose, fighting together for the faith, which is the Good News." May we never be guilty of fighting one another instead of standing together to fight the enemy.

Paul tells them in v. 29 that they have been given "not only the privilege of trusting in Christ but also the privilege of suffering for him." Oh, dear! Here's another troubling comment from our friend Paul! I like the part about the privilege of trusting in Christ, but...the privilege of suffering for him? I was at a loss to explain this, but the notes in the Life Application Study Bible give benefits of suffering for Christ:

  • our example affects ourselves and others for good
  • it takes our eyes off earthly comforts
  • it weeds out superficial believers
  • it strengthens the faith of those who endure
  • it serves as an example to others who may follow us
  • it often verifies that we have been faithful
All true believers are in this struggle together to stand fast for the truth of the Gospel and to carry it to others.

Psalm 83
In the Old Testament (and perhaps today too), the enemies of Israel were the enemies of God. I certainly think it's wise for Christians to be friends of Israel! This Psalm deals with an alliance against God! Imagine earthly forces thinking they could defeat God! The psalmist is calling on God in no uncertain terms to defeat these enemies. Even today we see people and hear voices that have no respect for God, who ridicule and profane His name. I'm not saying we should pray for judgment on them, but make no mistake, God's judgment is coming! The psalmist ends with the assurance that some day everyone, including God's enemies, will learn that God alone is the Lord, that He alone is the Most High, supreme over all the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment