Monday, June 8, 2015

Romans 7

Romans 7
Remember that the Jews had an elaborate set of laws they were supposed to keep. Romans 7 reiterates the fact that the law cannot save a person. He begins the chapter by using the illustration of marriage. A person's marriage vows are only valid as long as both partners are alive. When one is dead, the "law" of marriage no longer applies.

In the same way, when we were united with Christ, we "died" with Him, and the law can no longer condemn us. v. 4 We now serve God--"we can produce a harvest of good deeds for God." v. 4, out of love and devotion, not by obeying a set of rules. The Holy Spirit gives us the power to serve God. v. 6

The law itself is not sinful, but its purpose was to show us our sin. vv. 7-13

In vv. 14-25, Paul eloquently explains something we all know and experience--our struggle with sin.
"I want to do what is right, but I don't do it. Instead, I do what I hate." v. 15 This happens to us because we still have the sinful nature. vv. 18-20 So how can we escape this miserable dilemma? "The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord." v. 25

This struggle with sin that every believer experiences, leads us right into Romans 8. Because of our faith in Jesus Christ our Lord, "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus." Wow! I love this verse! Charles Wesley expressed this thought beautifully in his song "And Can It Be?,
No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him is mine!
Alive in HIm, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine;
Bold I approach th'eternal throne
And claim the crown, thro Christ, my own.

Amazing love! How can it be
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?


No comments:

Post a Comment