In this chapter we come to Jesus' last public message. It is primarily a criticism of the Pharisees and their false religion. It's important to remember that the Pharisees were individuals like everyone else, and some did believe in Jesus. However, as a whole, they rejected Jesus.
This first section explains the basic flaws in the Pharisees' religion and is addressed to the crowd and to Jesus' disciples.
- They were wrong about what makes a person right with God. They put themselves in the place of authority and placed impossible religious demands on the people--demands that they themselves did not and could not keep. vv. 2-4
- They did not understand ministry. v. 4 Instead of easing the burdens of the people, they added to them.
- They did everything for show. vv. 5-8 God is much more concerned about what we are on the inside than on the outside!
- They had a wrong view of greatness. vv. 5-12 The Pharisees were overly concerned about how men viewed them rather than focusing on God's approval. God does not value titles of honor or seating assignments! True greatness, according to vv. 11-12 belongs to those who humbly serve others.
Psalm 119:73-80
"You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands." v. 73 I love this! When you just think about these words, isn't it silly and foolish to refuse to trust God and follow His commands? After all, He created me! I am the created being. Why would I think I know better that the Creator?
"May all who fear you find in me a cause for joy, for I have put my hope in your word." v. 74 Our faith should be an encouragement to others.
"I know, O Lord, that your regulations are fair; you disciplined me because I needed it. Now let your unfailing love comfort me, just as you promised me, your servant." vv. 75-76
"Surround me with your tender mercies so I may live, for your instructions are my delight." v. 77
For our meditation: "You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands." Psalm 119:73
No comments:
Post a Comment