Friday, April 27, 2018

Matthew 23:13-36; Psalm 119:80-96

Matthew 23:13-36
Last time we read about what Jesus said to His disciples and other followers about the religious leaders and the Pharisees. These verses tonight reveal what Jesus said to the religious leaders and Pharisees, and it's not pretty! If you have a chance to read through this section, you will see that Jesus was very stern, though also sad, at what He knew about them. Below are a few of the faults He found with them.

  • By teaching men's traditions rather than the truth of God's Word they were actually shutting "the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people's faces." v. 13 This is a terrible sin. It's God's will for us to encourage everyone to trust Jesus for their salvation.
  • They were proud of their own man-made religious rules making converts to themselves and their false religion. v. 15
  • They were greedy and materialistic. vv. 16-22
  • They did not practice justice, mercy, and faith. No matter how many rules we keep, we are not obeying God if we don't show justice and mercy to others or live by faith. vv. 23-24
  • They were focused on their outward appearance, but God is concerned with the inside, what's in our hearts. vv. 25-28.
  • They were trouble-makes and persecutors. vv. 29-36 We are supposed to be peacemakers and encouragers!
I always enjoy the more positive passages of scripture, but the warnings are also important, and we should heed these warnings so that we don't repeat the same sins!

Psalm 119:80-96
I had to smile to myself when I read vv. 80-88! The psalmist is really complaining about God being slow to answer his prayers. Maybe we're not as honest as he was, but I think we've all been there! Sometimes we're like whiney children!  "I am worn out waiting for your rescue....My eyes are straining to see your promises come true, When will you comfort me? I am shriveled like a wineskin in the smoke...How long must I wait..." Whew! You can almost imagine God rolling His eyes!

In vv. 89-96, the psalmist is feeling better! "Your eternal word, O Lord, stands firm in heaven. Your faithfulness extends to every generation, as enduring as the earth you created." vv. 89-90 We must never give in to fear and discouragement, but keep reading and trusting God.

These words are worthy of our meditation. God's word is eternal--our problems are temporary. His word stands firm in heaven--we can hold on to it and trust it. His faithfulness extends even to our own generation. It is as enduring as the earth He created. We CAN trust Him and we should! No more whining allowed!

No comments:

Post a Comment