Monday, April 30, 2018

Matthew 23:37-39; Psalm 119:97-120

Matthew 23:37-39
This is Jesus' lament over Jerusalem--a symbol of all Israel and by extension, I think we can apply it to all unbelievers. Jesus wants them to be saved! "How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me." v. 37 We learn in 2 Peter 3:8-9 that God does not anyone to perish but wants everyone to come to repentance. This is the will of God. But God will not force His will on anyone. We have human freedom and responsibility, and we can choose to accept what God offers or we can reject it. Those who refuse are "abandoned and desolate." v. 38 There is only one way to God, according to what Jesus Himself said, and that is through Jesus.  Jesus Himself tells us in John 14:6 "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me."

Psalm 119:97-120
I'm going to point out a few nuggets from this passage that spoke to me this morning.
"Oh, how I love your instructions! I think about them all day long." v. 97 The word "instructions" means more than a "how to" manual. It means all of God's Word including His assurances and promises. We are think about them all day long. This is meditation. I like to choose a verse or phrase from what I've read on a given day and try to remember to repeat it back to myself and to God throughout the day--applying it to the needs at hand.

Here are some of the ways God's Word helps us:

  • It makes us wise, v. 98, 100.
  • It gives us insight, v. 99. 
  • It reminds us to be obedient, v. 101,
  • It gives us understanding. v. 104
  • It's a lamp to guide our feet and a light to our path. 105
  • It is our treasure and our heart's delight. 111
  • It is our refuge and shield. v. 114
  • It is our source of hope. v. 114
For our meditation:
"You are my refuge and my shield, your word is my source of hope. Lord, sustain me as you promised, that I may live! Do not let my hope be crushed."  Psalm 119: 114, 116


No comments:

Post a Comment