We are looking at Jesus' sufferings. We have seen
- He was mocked and beaten by the Roman soldiers
- He was crucified
- Mocked by the Jews. Jesus crucifixion was a public event held just before the Passover when the streets would have been teeming with Jewish people. The mocking and jeering from the crowd surely added to the humiliation. It's interesting that this was predicted in Psalm 22:6-8 "But I am a worm and not a man. I am scorned and despised by all! Everyone who sees me mocks me. They sneer and shake their heads, saying, 'Is this the one who relies on the Lord? Then let the Lord save him! If the Lord loves him so much, let the Lord rescue him!'" The very words that these Jews and Jewish leaders hurled at Jesus show us that they didn't understand Him at all. If He had come down from the cross and saved Himself, He wouldn't have been able to save us! He had to be punished and die in our place in order for our sins to be paid for. Jesus did not come to save His own life but to freely give His life as a ransom for sinners.
The head note tells us that David prayed this prayer while he was in a cave, apparently hiding from his enemies.
"I cry aloud to the Lord; I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy. I pour out before him my complaint; before him I tell my trouble." vv, 1-2 Do you ever pray out loud? David did! He asked for mercy and told God all his troubles. Where do we turn when we are troubled? We should say to the Lord, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living." v. 5 Really, when we have God, what else do we need? We don't have to be desperate, as David was, before we turn to God, but we are often weak and insecure. It is our Heavenly Father who watches over our way. v. 3
When we are in the midst of trials and troubles, it's hard to believe this, but one day this trial will be part of our testimony, and we will praise God! v, 7 David was showing faith that God would deliver him and he would praise His name.
1 I cry aloud to the Lord;
I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy.
2 I pour out before him my complaint;
before him I tell my trouble.
I lift up my voice to the Lord for mercy.
2 I pour out before him my complaint;
before him I tell my trouble.
3 When my spirit grows faint within me,
it is you who watch over my way.
In the path where I walk
people have hidden a snare for me.
4 Look and see, there is no one at my right hand;
no one is concerned for me.
I have no refuge;
no one cares for my life.
it is you who watch over my way.
In the path where I walk
people have hidden a snare for me.
4 Look and see, there is no one at my right hand;
no one is concerned for me.
I have no refuge;
no one cares for my life.
5 I cry to you, Lord;
I say, “You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living.”
I say, “You are my refuge,
my portion in the land of the living.”
6 Listen to my cry,
for I am in desperate need;
rescue me from those who pursue me,
for they are too strong for me.
7 Set me free from my prison,
that I may praise your name.
Then the righteous will gather about me
because of your goodness to me.
for I am in desperate need;
rescue me from those who pursue me,
for they are too strong for me.
7 Set me free from my prison,
that I may praise your name.
Then the righteous will gather about me
because of your goodness to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment