Friday, August 24, 2018

Matthew 28:9-15; Psalm 145:1-2

Matthew 28:9-15
We are looking at the events surrounding Jesus' resurrection. If you will recall, the two Marys had visited the empty tomb and had been told by the angel to go tell the disciples that Jesus had risen from the dead. As they hurried away from the tomb, Jesus Himself met them and greeted them! "And they ran to him, grasped his feet, and worshiped him." v. 9 Though they were happy and excited and worshipful, they must also have been a little afraid as we can tell by Jesus' response to them, "Don't be afraid! Go tell my brothers to leave for Galilee, and they will see me there." v. 10 Notice that Jesus used the term "brothers" when referring to the disciples. This warm reference reminds us that we as believers are "family"!

The believers were worshiping Jesus, but His enemies were cooking up a lie to explain the truth. vv. 11-15.  They would not believe the truth--a miracle. The lie, which the Jewish leaders bribed the guards to tell, was that the disciples came during the night while they were sleeping and stole Jesus' body. If you really think about this story, it doesn't make sense. The disciples had fled in fear, and they were convinced that He was dead. They even seemed to have forgotten His predictions about rising from the dead. And even more preposterous was they they had taken the body and left the grave clothes! Really? I doubt a grave robber with even the stoutest of hearts would unwrap a dead body and leave the grave clothes neatly behind. I'm afraid there's something in human nature that often believes a lie, even a far-fetched one, over the truth. The Bible, however, is clear on this point. Jesus did indeed rise from the dead, and He lives today!

Psalm 145:1-2
I will extol thee, my God, O king; and I will bless thy name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name for ever and ever.
I remember memorizing these verses in the King James Version as a young girl. When I quoted them to my mother, she said, "That can't be right!" It does sound rather repetitious, but it is indeed right and true too!

Here it is in the New Living Translation, "I will exalt you, my God and King, and praise your name forever and ever. I will praise you every day; yes, I will praise you forever."

Pick whichever one you prefer, but the message is clear. Let us follow this example!

No comments:

Post a Comment