Here we have the record of Joseph of Arimathea who asked Pilate for Jesus body. John's Gospel tells us that Nicodemus was also with Joseph. Both men were prominent Jews who had believed and trusted Jesus. They lovingly cared for Jesus' body and placed it in Joseph's tomb. Then they "rolled a great stone across the entrance and left."
The remaining verses of this chapter are interesting as well. The leading Jewish priests and Pharisees, who denied Jesus' claims, asked for a seal on the tomb. They said it was to prevent the disciples from stealing Jesus' body, but you have to wonder if they worried that Jesus' prediction of His resurrection might actually be true. Pilate granted the seal and also ordered guards to stand watch over the tomb.
Psalm 143
We have already looked at v. 1 in which David asks God to hear his prayer because He (God) is faithful and righteous. In v. 2, David admits that he is not perfect. "Don't put your servant on trial, for no one is innocent before you." None of us could withstand the judgment of God. We are declared righteous ONLY through claiming the righteousness of Jesus, not because of any good in us.
In the next few verses, David confesses that he is afraid and depressed. Have you ever been there? What did you do about it? David responded in at least three ways:
- "I remember the days of old, I ponder all your great works and think about what you have done." v. 5 When we are fearful and depressed, we should turn to God's Word and meditate on His great love and power. This will increase our faith that God will take care of us, and that He has our best interests at heart.
- "I lift my hands to you in prayer. I thirst for you as parched land thirsts for rain." v. 6 This last phrase makes me feel very ashamed. We need to "thirst" for God, seeking to draw closer to Him and to know Him better.
- "Don't turn away from me, or I will die." v. 7
- "Let me hear of your unfailing love each morning, for I am trusting you." v. 8 Perhaps it's a good idea to meet with God early before we face the cares of the day.
- "Show me where to walk, for I give myself to you." v. 8 We should let God lead us. After all He knows the way far better than we do.
- "Teach me to do your will, for you are my God." v. 10
- "For the glory of your name, O Lord, preserve my life." v. 11 How often do we honestly pray for something for the glory of God's name? I'm afraid most of our prayers are quite selfish with very little thought as to what will bring glory to God's name.
No comments:
Post a Comment