Psalm 81
The people were to call a special celebration, perhaps the Passover, to remember that God had rescued them from slavery in Egypt. They were to sing and praise and play musical instruments and rejoice in God's faithfulness to them. vv. 1-7
Then Asaph, the psalmist, went on to warn them not to bow down to false gods, and he promised them that God will bless them if they were obedient. vv. 8-10 They would not listen, and God allowed them to suffer one of the worst consequences that God still allows today--that is--He lets us have our own way! Why do we think we know more than God does? And yet it's never too late to realize God's goodness and to enjoy all that He wants for us. "But I would feed you with the finest wheat. I would satisfy you with wild honey from the rock." v. 16
Luke 10:38-42
This is the story of Mary and Martha, and it is very familiar to us. So familiar that if we're not careful, we tend to skip over it. You will remember that Jesus visited in their home. Martha was busy and distracted with the physical work, so much so that she even asked Jesus to correct her sister for not helping! I have to say, I can identify with Martha. It's a temptation to work, work, work even though the work is not really that important, and it's never done anyway, and it even causes me to resent those who are not "helping." I'm sure Jesus appreciated Martha's wish to make everything nice for Him, but many times this "busy, busy, busy" attitude is not one that helps us grow. Can't you just hear Jesus' voice when He says, "Martha, Martha..." I wouldn't have been surprised if He had continued, "What am I going to do with you?" Instead He says, "But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her."
I hear the lesson loud and clear, and it's "Please listen and learn!"
No comments:
Post a Comment