Oh, my goodness! If I didn't believe that all scripture is profitable for us, I think I would skip this one! It is written by a psalmist named Heman. He is as low, discouraged, despondent, and depressed as it's possible to get, and unlike most other psalms, it does not end on a positive note.
Heman tells God exactly how he is feeling:
- His life is full of troubles.
- He is as good as dead, even like a corpse in a grave.
- He is thrown into the lowest, darkest pit and forgotten.
- He is experiencing God's anger (at least it feels that way to him).
- He is repulsive to his friends.
Here is a little sneak peek at the next psalm, Psalm 89 also written by Heman, "I will sing of the LORD's unfailing love forever! Young and old will hear of your faithfulness. Your unfailing love will last forever. Your faithfulness is as enduring as the heavens." And so I guess it's safe to say that Heman's despondency did not last forever! I hope this gives you encouragement whenever you feel hopeless (which I hope is not often)!
Luke 12:22-34
This, along with the parallel passage in Matthew 6, is one of my favorite passages. It reminds us silly worriers not to give a second thought to those things God knows we need. After all, "Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, neither do they spin: and yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Matt. 6:28-29 KJV and Luke 12:27. And so nature should remind us daily that God feeds the birds of the air and dresses the flowers of the field; surely He will care for us.
What we should NOT do:
- don't worry
- don't be afraid, v. 32
- don't hoard money or material things. (implied in v. 33ff.) As we've said before, in our culture we do need money to survive, but it should never become our god or our obsession.
What we should do:
- "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need."
- Be generous with those in need. "This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes." v. 33
No comments:
Post a Comment