I have to tell you that when I first read this, I had no clue how it could have anything to do with us!
I had to do a little research. I found that the earthly city of Jerusalem (Zion) is also a picture of the heavenly Zion, the eventual home of God's people. Glorious things are said of the city of God. Believers from all nations have the opportunity to become "citizens" of heaven. Through our earthly birth, we became citizens of the United States; through the new birth, we become citizens of heaven, the New Jerusalem.
Luke 12:13-21
Ah, here we have a family squabble over an inheritance. Imagine that! Indeed, this person is so greedy that he interrupts Jesus to ask His help in getting his "fair share." In most cases the people who are inheriting money did nothing to earn it in the first place, and so who is to say what they deserve? But anyway, Jesus takes the opportunity here to teach us that "Life is not measured by how much you own." v. 15 Then He goes on to give a parable that teaches us that money and material things do not bring any true security. Not only could our personal finances or even our whole economy collapse in one day, but we don't even have a guarantee of living one more minute! Obviously, we need money to survive in this world, but our focus should never be on getting and hoarding more and more. Rather, we should concentrate on having "a rich relationship with God." v.21
Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken, John Newton (from Psalm 87)
Glorious things of thee are spoken, Zion, city of our God; God, whose word cannot be broken, formed thee for his own abode. On the Rock of Ages founded, what can shake thy sure repose? With salvation's walls surrounded, thou mayst smile at all thy foes.
No comments:
Post a Comment