You will recall that we saw in v. 14 that the Pharisees went out and plotted how they might kill Jesus. Up until now, Jesus had been openly confronting them, but v. 15 tells us that He withdrew from that place. It was not yet time for Him to die. The Jews were expecting their Messiah to be a more traditional king, but the Old Testament prophecy had explained exactly what kind of King He would be.
- He would be loved and chosen by God the Father.v. 18
- He would have the Holy Spirit on Him. v. 18
- He would proclaim justice to the nations. He would not be a dictator! v. 18
- He would not quarrel or cry out. v. 19
- His voice would not be heard in the streets. He would not force people to follow Him. v. 19
- His enemies are weak like bruised reeds or smoldering wick. They think they are so powerful, but they are nothing compared to Jesus. v. 20
- Jesus is the only hope of the nations and the only hope for individuals as well! v. 21
This psalm is David's pledge to reign in a godly way over Israel. Of course, David was a man, and he could not perfectly live up to these ideals. Only King Jesus has perfectly performed these goals. This psalm instructs us as to exactly what King Jesus is like, and it also gives us ideals for which to strive. Let's look at those ideals. They look rather like New Year's Resolutions!
- I will sing and praise God for His love and justice. v. 1
- I will lead a blameless life. Of course, we cannot be blameless as Christ is, but we can become more and more like Him. v. 2
- "I will set before my eyes no vile thing." v. 3 This can mean different things to different people, but we should avoid anything that tempts us to sin or in any way weakens our relationship to God.
- I will have nothing to do with evil. v. 4
- I will defend my friends and neighbors from slander. v. 5
- I will avoid haughty and proud people. v. 5
- I will seek the company of godly people. v. 6
- I will avoid those whose word I cannot trust v. 7
No comments:
Post a Comment