Thursday, February 14, 2019

Genesis 21:8-21; Psalm 23

Psalm 23
This is probably the best-known passage in the whole Bible and one of the most loved. We often hear it at funerals. I'm afraid people often don't even really listen to or think about what the words mean.

For today, let's imagine that we are sheep. I know, I know. Sheep are not very smart, and they smell bad, but stick with me here! If you were indeed a sheep, what characteristics would you want in a shepherd?
Let's see, I'd want Him to be

  • strong
  • smart
  • faithful to his work
  • caring
  • alert to danger
  • able to protect me from danger
  • able to find adequate food and water
  • I would want him to understand me
  • I would want him to be capable of whatever was required
Do you have any other ideas? Of course we're not physical sheep, but the Bible does compare us to sheep. Our Lord is the perfect Shepherd, and His characteristics go far beyond what an earthly shepherd can be.

Tomorrow we'll think about this:  If you were a shepherd, what kind of sheep would you want?


Genesis 21:8-21

Abraham has been know down through the ages as a man of faith, but as we know, he was not a perfect man. We also know that God is merciful and gracious to forgive our sin, but sin does have consequences. Abraham took Sarah's advice, though they both should have trusted God to keep his promise. He produced a son, Ishmael, through Sarah's servant, Hagar. After Isaac was born, this caused trouble in the family, and Hagar and Ishmael had to leave. God didn't leave them alone however, but cared and provided for them.

If you will google, "religious paintings of Hagar and Ishmael in the wilderness," you will see many artists renditions of this incident. I liked this one because I thought the artist captured the despair they must have felt when Abraham sent them away. (William Ladd Taylor 1854-1926)


Related image

No comments:

Post a Comment