Psalm 23
Yesterday we looked at the characteristics of a good shepherd, and we know that everything good and strong and wise that we can think of applies 100-fold to the Lord, plus so much more!
So let's talk about us--the sheep. I asked yesterday what a model sheep would be. Before we look at the psalm, let's just think. A good sheep would follow the shepherd; he would not be stubborn and always wandering off; he would pay attention; he would trust the shepherd's judgment. You can probably think of more. These are the ways that we, the believers, should act toward our Lord, the Good Shepherd.
The remainder of the psalm tells us what we can expect as a "sheep" of the Good Shepherd, Jesus.
"I shall not want."
I'll have everything I need. My daily needs will be met.
"He makes me to lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside the still waters."
As I trust Him, my life will be calm.
"He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake."
He shows me which paths to take, and if I wander onto the wrong path, He gently guides me back.
"Yea, thought I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."
Death is something we all face. We have faced it for our loved ones, and we will face it for ourselves. It's something we've never done before, and in a way it doesn't even seem real (as you look ahead). But with our Good Shepherd going with us and leading us, we don't fear it because we can trust Him. He has only the best for us. The remainder of the verses tell us about what God has prepared on the other side of this dark valley.
"You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever."
"If life is difficult today, just keep following the Shepherd; He will never lead you where He cannot care for you." --Warren Wiersbe
No comments:
Post a Comment