Colossians 2:11
Jewish males were circumcised as a sign of their covenant with God. After the death of Christ, circumcision no longer has any spiritual significance. Our commitment to God is etched on our hearts, and our sinful nature has been cut away. Baptism is a symbol of our being dead and buried to our old sinful life. When we come up out of the baptismal waters, this is a symbol of our being raised to new life because we have "trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead." v. 12.
We were spiritually dead in our sins until God made us alive with Christ when He forgave all our sins. "He canceled the record of the charges against us and took it away by nailing it to the cross." Once we are "in Christ" our sins will never be remembered against us--the penalty is paid in full! This was a great victory when Jesus defeated the spiritual rulers and authorities by His death on the cross. vv. 13-15.
Psalm 91:3-16
This is psalm about God's protection. We can feel secure in God's care. There are some things in this psalm that I struggle to explain. Our experience tells us that believers do sometimes become ill and die; they sometimes face grave accidents or other dangers. And so we know that dangerous and deadly things happen to Christians as well as to unbelievers. I think a psalm like this assures us that God is always with us and that He is certainly able to protect or deliver us from any trouble. But we also know that circumstances are according to His perfect will. And we certainly know that nothing happens to us without His knowledge and consent.
Therefore, we should not be afraid, nor should be worry. He will cover us and shelter us. "The Lord says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue and honor them. I will reward them with a long life and give them my salvation." vv. 14-16
No comments:
Post a Comment