Saturday, March 26, 2016

Colossians 4:7-18; Psalm 96

Colossians 4:7-18
Before we go on to end of this book, I want to make another comment or two about v. 2.

  • "Devote yourselves to prayer..." I think we could all do better in our devotion to prayer!
  • "...with an alert mind." Yesterday I mentioned that we should really focus on specific words and needs and avoid repetitious words that hold little meaning for us. I want to add here that I think an alert mind could also include meditating on the attributes of God as well as on His promises. This is will increase our faith.
  • "...and a thankful heart." It's easy to be thankful for the blessings and the good things. It occurred to me that we should also be thankful when we're placed in circumstances where we have to trust God and Him alone. I admit this is hard!
OK-l-going on--vv. 7-18 represents Paul's final words to the Colossians. First, he speaks warmly of several coworkers in the gospel. This tells me that we are not to be "Lone Ranger Christians." Paul calls these coworkers "beloved brothers," "faithful helpers."

Since we are thinking about prayer in this chapter, I will mention that Paul reports this, "Epaphras, a member of your own fellowship and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends you his greetings. He always prays earnestly for you, asking God to make you strong and perfect, fully confident that you are following the whole will of God. I can assure you that he prays hard for you and also for the believers in Laodicea and Hierapolis."

In v. 16, Paul tells the believers at Collosse to pass this letter on to the church at Laodicea and to read the one he sent to the Laodiceans as well. Surely, these letters to the churches are applicable to all churches including our own.

Psalm 96
This psalms reminds us of ways we can praise God.

  • Sing! "Sing a new song to the Lord! Let the whole earth sing to the Lord! v. 1
  • "Proclaim the good news that he saves...Tell everyone about the amazing things he does." vv. 2-3, 10. We don't always think of witnessing as a way to praise God, but this psalm tells us just that.
  • Worship Him. "Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise!" He is the creator, and honor and majesty surround Him, strength and beauty fill His sanctuary. v. 5, 6 "Worship the Lord in all his holy splendor." v. 9, 11, 12
  • Bring offerings to Him. "Give to the Lord the glory he deserves! Bring your offering and come into his courts." v. 8  Giving is a great privilege and a way to show our praise to God.
  • Live a life that pleases God. "The Lord reigns!...He will judge all peoples fairly." v. 10, 13


No comments:

Post a Comment