I read an article yesterday about the possibility that walking in nature changes the brain (for the better!). http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/how-nature-changes-the-brain/?_r=0
This makes sense to me, and I think it's probably true, but the Bible is way ahead of the New York Times. Philippians 4 tells us how to change our thinking. No more worry, brooding, or"awfulizing"! According to vv. 4-7, we are to be joyful, considerate, free from worry, praying, and thanking God.
Then vv. 8 and 9 summarize the encouragement and give us more good advice. Fix your thoughts on things that are:
- true
- honorable
- right
- pure
- lovely
- admirable
- excellent
- worthy of praise
And I might add that physically healthy living helps too!
Psalm 88
After what we read in Philippians today, I thought about skipping Psalm 88. It is a prayer of misery and despair, and it is one of the few psalms that offers no ray of sunshine. The writer is very low; his life is full of troubles; he is apparently very weak, sick, and near death; his friends have deserted him; in short, he is hopeless, depressed, and desperate. It doesn't get any worse that this! And so what does the psalmist do? He tells God all about it. We all want to be always cheerful and positive, but times do come when this is not possible. Some things, like grief and depression, take time to heal. Always remember that no problem or emotion or attitude is a surprise to God. He can handle it! This psalm teaches us to take everything to the Lord. Also, sometimes we run into others who may express this kind of hopelessness, anguish, and despair. We can take them to this psalm to show them that they are not the only ones who have ever felt that way. And there is hope! Look at Psalm 89, which begins, "I will sing of the Lord's unfailing love forever!"
No comments:
Post a Comment