Thursday, October 20, 2016

James 1:12-18

James 1:12-18

This passage really lends itself to a Bible study method we've been using at church. I'm going to ask you to read through the verses a couple of times. Then ask yourself these 4 questions (hopefully before you look at my reactions!):

  • What do these verses tell me about God?
  • What do these verses tell me about mankind?
  • What is in here that I need to obey?
  • Who do I know that I could share this with?
I will share my answers to the first 3 questions:

What do I learn about God?

  • If I patiently endure testing, He'll bless me.  v. 12
  • He is never tempted to do wrong. v. 13
  • He will never tempt anyone to do wrong. v. 13
  • Everything good and perfect comes from God. v. 17
  • He created all the lights in the heavens.  v 17
  • He never changes. v. 17
  • He chose to give us the new birth by giving us His true word. v. 18  Jesus is the Living Word, and He is revealed to us in the written word.
  • We are special to God--His prized possession. v. 18
What do I learn about myself (and all of mankind)?

  • I will be tempted to do wrong. v. 13
  • I might be tempted to blame God for the temptation. v. 13
  • Temptations come from my own desires. v. 14
  • My desires, if I give in to them, will lead me to sinful actions and eventually death. v. 15
What do I need to obey?

  • I must endure testing and temptation. v. 12
  • I must realize that temptations come out of my own sinful nature. v. 14
  • I think it's understood from the passage that I must trust God to overcome temptation rather than trusting myself.
  • I must remember that God is good, He never changes, and He loves me.


No comments:

Post a Comment