Monday, November 17, 2014

More thoughts on Psalm 112; Psalm 113

Psalm 112
I've been thinking this weekend about what it means to "fear the Lord." I have said and I believe that this phrase as used in the Bible means that we should respect or reverence the Lord. Exactly how do we do that? I wonder how we show our respect for people. Think of a person in your life that you really respect or have respected in the past. How did you treat that person? How did you act in his or her presence?

As I think about people I respect (now and in the past) I think I listen carefully to what they say, and I try to remember what they say. I am slow to interrupt them. I try to please the person, and if it's a person in authority over me I try to perform my tasks to best of my ability. As a child, I showed respect to my parents when I obeyed cheerfully. (I'm afraid I wasn't always very respectful as I recall quite a bit a whining--I'm not proud of this!) Do you have anything to add to these thoughts?

So let's apply all this to the Lord. We listen carefully to His Word as we read and study it, and we try to remember what He says and apply it to our lives. We try to please Him by doing what we should and avoiding what we should not do. And we should obey His Word cheerfully--no whining!

Psalm 113
Here we have a psalm about worship--praising the Lord.
  • Who is to praise the Lord? Servants of the Lord--this is all of us who are believers.
  • When are we to praise the Lord? Now and forever.
  • Where are we to praise the Lord? Everywhere from east to west. The King James Version puts it this way, "From the rising of the sun unto the going down of the same the Lord's name is to be praised."
  • Why should be praise the Lord? He is high above the nations; his glory is higher than the heavens. No one can compare to Him. He is compassionate to the poor and needy and the childless.

No comments:

Post a Comment