Psalm 119:17-24
Going on with the theme of what God's Word can do in your life, we see in these verses that we are "foreigners" or strangers here on this earth. God's Word provides instructions on how to navigate our way through life. v. 24 sums this section up, "You laws please me; they give me wise advice." And this is the best advice!
Acts 1:1-11
We just finished the Gospel of Luke, and now I am going to Acts which was also written by Luke. For review, the Gospel of Luke ended with this, "Then Jesus led them to Bethany, and lifting his hands to heaven, he blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up to heaven. So they worshiped him and then returned to Jerusalem filled with great joy. And they spent all of their time in the Temple, praising God." Then he (Luke) goes on to begin Acts like this, "in my first book I told you, Theophilus, about everything Jesus began to do and teach until the day he was taken up to heaven after giving his chosen apostles further instructions through the Holy Spirit. He goes on to review Jesus' promise of the Holy Spirit and His ascension. I love this scene, "As they strained to see him rising into heaven, two white-robed men suddenly stood among them, 'Men of Galilee,' they said, 'why are you standing her staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday he will return from heaven in the same way you saw him go!'" I can identify with those disciples, can't you? I think I would be staring up into the sky too if I had just witnessed what they saw! Notice the two great promises in these few verses: the promise of the Holy Spirit, which we have today, and the promise of Christ's return for which we are still waiting.
From this point on, we will see how the New Testament church came into being and how it worked and ministered in those early years.
No comments:
Post a Comment