Monday, December 1, 2014

Psalm 119:9-16; Luke 24:36-50

Psalm 119:9-16
Remember that we're looking at the blessings of God's Word on our lives. This passages tells us that God's Word will keep us clean.  In order for this cleansing to happen, we must obey it (vv. 9-10), memorize it (v. 11), meditate on it (v. 13, 15), and rejoice in it (v. 14, 16).

So, to be practical here, in order for us to obey God's Word, we must know what it says, internalize it, and apply it to ourselves.

Luke 24:36-50
It's interesting to see how the Psalm 119 passage applies to the reading in Luke. In these verses, the disciples are startled and frightened, thinking when they saw Jesus that they had seen a ghost! They doubted that it could be Him. The prescription for their fear and unbelief was to listen to Jesus! We can find relief from our troubled hearts and our weak faith today by letting Him speak to us through His Word. We have the Holy Spirit--just as Jesus promised (v. 49)--to be our teacher and our comforter.

I just spent Thanksgiving week with my cousin Dean Fisher and two of my aunts, Mary Etta Fisher and Darlene Hanner. Having them here reminded me of something I am very thankful for, and that is that I had loving and supportive adults in my life when I was a young person. I do not remember ever sensing rejection or disapproval from them or really from any significant adults in my life. You know, the worth of that kind of support is priceless. I knew they were in my corner, and, to be honest, they still are!

No comments:

Post a Comment